Thursday, February 18, 2010

Quickbooks 2008 Accountant Edition QBW Failure!

I was using Quickbooks 2008 Premier Accountant Edition when my computer had an error and I was forced to reboot without closing any programs. To my dismay, after I restarted the computer, Quickbooks crashed every time I attempted to open it. I.e., before it even got to the screen where I can enter my company password, it would lock up and generate a crash report.

I decided to check if my company’s QBW file was intact, but every time I would open the folder where it was located, Windows Explorer crashed.

I found this link on the Intuit Support forums which gave me some good advice. Following the instructions there, I was able to load Quickbooks and select a company to load, but when I selected my QBW file, the program crashed once again.

By chance, I happened to move the two temporary files mentioned in the link (MyCompany.QBW.ND and MyCompany.QBW.TLG) to the Desktop, as well as the main QBW file. Then I reopened Quickbooks, loaded the company QBW file from the Desktop and it miraculously opened up as good as new!

Once I had this file opened, I immediately saved a backup copy (QBB). Then, I emptied the folder where I initially stored the QBW file. I closed and reloaded Quickbooks, and chose to restore a company from a backup file. I selected the QBB file, restored the company QBW file to my original folder, and then it worked fine as before.

Needless to say, I now backup my QBW file whenever Quickbooks tells me to (every 4 days or so), but I was lucky not to lose any data this time!

I hope this helps you; please leave a comment if it does!

No comments:

Post a Comment