Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Fixing flashing backlight for Acer AL1711 17" LCD Monitor

 

acer-al1711-5

I was testing to see if changing the brightness on my LCD caused differences in the pitch emitted from the inverter when it adjusted luminosity. With my ear against the back of the monitor, and my finger pressing the increase brightness button, I listened for differences in loudness. Unbeknownst to me, when I reached 100% brightness, this overloaded the inverter and the backlight turned off.

After that, I thought the inverter had by coincidence come to its end, because when I would turn off, and restart the monitor, the backlight and screen would flash on for a quarter second and then immediately turn off.

Then I started troubleshooting. After a couple hours of trying to configure the monitor using the OSD on an unbacklit monitor (which is very hard, do it in daylight so that you can see the contents of the screen), I finally solved the problem. What I did was decrease the brightness to minimum on the OSD, and I exited the OSD. The backlight did not come back on when I decreased the brightness in the OSD. I had to save the settings, exit the OSD, and restart the monitor. Then, when it lit up, the reduced brightness was within the (aging) specs of the inverter, so it didn't flash off immediately.

Hope this helps someone. If so, please leave a comment. Enjoy!

1 comment: