Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Unable to Access Files on a Networked Computer – “Not enough server storage is available to process the command”.

After a long days’ work for a client repairing, updating, and optimizing his workstations at the office, I was disappointed to hear back from him the next day that he could not access the critical files that were stored on his main computer when connecting from other computers on the network. All his workstations are running Windows XP Home.

If computer A is his main PC, and computer B is the secondary PC, computer A could access network shares from B, but B could not access network shares from A. From computer B, I could see the shared folders and printers in computer A, but when I tried to open a shared folder, I received the following error message

“You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

Not enough server storage is available to process this command.”

not-enough-storage 

At first I assumed it was a firewall problem, but that wasn’t the case. I hadn’t changed any major on the machine except a few Microsoft updates, an AVG update, and installing Acronis Drive Image 2010, so I was quite dumbfounded at first.

Digging a bit deeper, it turns out that the problem was related to the second half of the error message: “Not enough server storage is available to process this command.” On Computer A, I checked the event log which showed many entries with Event ID: 2011, similar to the screenshot below.

50019

Apparently, Acronis has an incompatibility that causes the IRPStackSize parameter for the Server service in Windows XP to be insufficient for incoming network requests. Thus, when computer B would attempt to open a network share on computer A, the error was returned.

To solve this, I followed the steps outlined here to add the IRPStackSize in computer A’s registry. The default value for this parameter is 15, but according to some research I did on the web, a larger value is required to remove the error, between 16-25. I tried 16, restarted the Server service, but had no luck. I then tried 18, and it worked. Apparently 16 and 18 seem to work well.

This setting allowed me to keep Acronis installed as well as maintaining full network access functionality.

If this helps you solve your own problem, please leave a comment. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment